Combating Occupation and Apartheid
National Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions conference
Melbourne, 29 – 31 October 2010
– activism in support of Palestine –
Dear friends and supporters,
It’s now been 10 days since we issued the call for a national Australian BDS conference to be held on 29 -31st October, 2010. The response has been overwhelmingly positive, with many people telling us that they think it is an important step towards building a national campaign in Australia.
The following individuals, community and solidarity groups have already endorsed the call for the conference:
Individuals (organisations listed for identification purposes only)
- Yousef Alreemawi; advocate for Palestine, academic and refugee activist.
- Leyal Asku – Lawyer.
- Fay Waddington (Palestine Solidarity Queensland)
- Kim Sattler (Secretary Unions ACT)
- Ginny Adams (Organiser, Health and Community Services Union)
- Kathryn Kelly (former ISM activist)
Groups who have endorsed:
- Friends of Palestine Western Australia (Perth)
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign (Melbourne)
- Students for Palestine (Victoria)
- Action for Palestine (Adelaide)
- Justice for Palestine (Brisbane)
- Australian-Palestinian Cultural Centre
- Palestine Remembered @ Radio 3CR; Australia’s only radio program that it totally dedicated to the Palestinian cause in English
We believe a national conference is an important initiative. Many of us already support the Palestinian initiated BDS campaign and are active in Palestine solidarity work around the country. We believe the conference will provide Australian activists and supporters of the Palestinian struggle for justice and self determination an opportunity to come together in order to not only discuss BDS and Palestine solidarity work in Australia, but it will also provide us with an opportunity to concretely act on organising a national consistent tactic to take the BDS campaign forward in this country.
We would like to encourage all supporters of the Palestinian struggle for self-determination and justice to endorse and support this very important initiative. If you would like to endorse and support the call for the conference, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will send out regular updates on the endorsements and the planning for the conference over the next couple of months.
You can keep up with news of what is happening with the conference by joining our email announcement group at: email@example.com (or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you want to be added to the announcement list and we will add you).
Or by joining us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=123970357646027
We will also keep our blog regularly updated: https://australianbdscampaign.wordpress.com/